Librium is a potential medication more commonly used for the treatment of anxiety and withdrawal symptoms. This encloses Chlordiazepoxide as the active constituent and can be used orally as needed. Librium significantly removes fear and anxiety before surgery, to treat irritable bowel syndrome. This is a group of medication called as benzodiazepine acts on the central nervous symptoms to manage to show action.
How Librium works?
Librium communicates to (BZD) binding sites on GABA (A) receptor complexes inside the central nervous system, enhances the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA causes chloride influx and membrane hyperpolarization. Thus, this action of Librium helps in managing hypnotic, withdrawal symptoms anxiolytic, sedative, and muscle relaxant effect.
What are the contraindications while using Librium?
- Omit the use in case of allergy to any ingredient present in the Librium and do not use if you are patient of severing medical condition that needs treatment.
- While using this medication do not use Ketoconazole, Nefazodone, Omeprazole, Sodium oxybate (GHB), Valproic acid, Clozapine, Clozapine, Disulfiram, Hydantoins, and Phenytoin as it can interact and may show unwanted effects.
What is the dosing regimen of Librium?
For the treatment of anxiety, the commonly recommended dose of Librium is 10mg that is available as an oral dosage form. Take the medication orally with the help of full galls of water and the dose can be increased up to 20 mg or 25 mg, 3 or 4 times daily. To overcome from alcohol withdrawal symptoms, the normally used dose is 50 to 100 mg orally, followed by repeated doses as desirable until agitation is controlled. The maximum dose is 300 mg orally per day. Avoid taking more than recommended dose to prevent overdosing effects.
What are the possible Side effects?
It can show some unwanted effects such as a headache, excessive and clumsiness, and confusion, dizziness, unsteadiness, lack of coordination, daytime drowsiness, lightheadedness, and unusual weakness.
Precautionary measures while using Librium:
- This medication is not allowed in the case of pregnancy and lactation or discuss with the doctor before use.
- Limit the consumption of alcohol while taking the medication as it can enhance the side effects.
- After ingesting the medication evade driving or operating until you feel well.