RU-486 is made of Mifepristone as the generic moiety, which is efficient in terminating the unwanted early gestation of fewer than 7 weeks or 49 days duration. The method of abortion with the use of pills is referred as a medical method of abortion.
Mechanism of action of RU-486-
RU-486 comprising Mifepristone is a progesterone antagonist moiety, which works by inhibiting the function of progesterone hormone. Since progesterone is vital for sustaining the gestation and after its inhibition, the embryo attached to the uterine wall lining detaches and sheds with endometrium. Further, the abortion contents will eliminate the body in the form of blood clots as vaginal bleeding.
Dosing regimen of RU-486-
RU-486 is a pack of three pills of Mifepristone and each pill is of 200mg strength. Thus, for inducing a successful termination of pregnancy, you have to consume these three pills in a single dose with water on an empty stomach. Then follow with a medical examination after two days for the confirmation of complete abortion. In case, the abortion is not complete due to any reason, then you are advised to take two pills of Misoprostol generic in a single administration for the completion.
Adverse effects of RU-486-
- Back pain
- Mood swings
- Abdominal cramps
- Heavy vaginal bleeding
Contraindications for the use of RU-486-
- RU-486 should not be used to terminate the ectopic cases of pregnancy.
- RU-486 is unsafe if you have any medical condition of liver, kidney, heart, blood pressure, or bleeding disorder.
- RU-486 should not be taken if you have an allergic response to any ingredient of RU-486.
Preventive measures while using RU-486-
- Do give proper rest to your body, keep your diet healthy and nutritious and avoid physical works so that it helps you to have a fast recovery.
- Until you stop the bleeding, make sure you do not get indulge in any sexual act else, it can lead to infection or the chances of pregnancy soon.
- Take precaution not to drink alcohol while undergoing abortion with RU-486.